"Surti Runners" exists to promote and encourage recreational running in Surat. This group was started in 2011 with a simple motto of "Run and Help others Run" and has always welcomed runners of all abilities. The objective of the group has always been to encourage and mentor members in their running interests, as well as provide organized runs that benefit and promote recreational running in Surat City. The common thread within the group is that we all enjoy running. The group has a great reputation for fun, camaraderie and mutual support.
The group now has more than 1200 members. The group is formed by people from all walks of life. Doctors, engineers, businessmen, students, housewives and teenagers make this vibrant outfit alive. They are all committed to running as a lifestyle and a way towards a healthy body and mind.
Surti Runners is not a commercial organization and has been active throughout these years organizing a number of small events and Sunday Long Runs. The group today has a combined experience of running 496 Half Marathons, 110 Full Marathons, one 100 miler, 9 Ultras, 25 Podiums, 8 Triathlons, 3 Ironman, 1 Comrades, 3 Duathlon, and 1 Aquathlon till date. The Surat City Half Marathon is its first event and is being organized completely by the runners and for the runners. We will strive to make this running event a memorable one for all participating fellow runners.
In the media
Surat City Half Marathon
- After organizing 2 very successful run events in the year 2015, we bring you the 2 nd edition of SCHM (Surat City Half Marathon). This year we are adding 10K run in addition to the half-marathon (21.1K) that we had last year. Watch this space for more updates and newer offerings of SCHM this year. Don’t forget to check out our other event The Summit.
- This is a race “for the runners, by the runners.”
- The Surti Runners with their combined experience of running world wide in different races have given their best effort to make this race a pleasant experience for runners. We have envisioned and strived towards bringing you a world class running experience conducted as per international standards and we hope that you will find SCHM’15 at par with global marathons.
- Surat was judged India's best city in the Annual Survey of India's City-Systems (ASICS) in 2013. The parameters for this included, according to a report in the Times of India, "mobility, water supply network, cleanliness, public amenities, pollution control, greenery, safety and easy processes of getting work done at the corporation.
- 90% of the world’s total rough diamond cutting and polishing is done in Surat.
- There is old adage saying “Kaashi nu maran and Surat nu jaman”, which means that the best way to die is in Kaashi, and the best way to have a meal is in Surat.
- So here comes a marathon in a city that celebrates life everyday with fun frolic and food.